Water Supplies to Percy Terrace

Clean water for drinking and washing obviously has immense significance to the health of a street. Here is the chronology of developments in the supply to Percy Terrace:


The Earl and Countess of Northumberland recovered from the Freemen of Alnwick ( after a lawsuit started in 1756 ) all privileges appertaining to the forest of Haydon and Alnwick Moor. This was subject to a lengthy agreement part 1X of which included amongst many other things :

“The Freemen pay 2 shillings per annum to The Duke for the right to lay pipes for conveying water to the present pants, wells and springs now used in and about the town of Alnwick from Alnwick Moor”.

Also from an article in the Northumbrian Gazette 4/11/2012

“Water was originally supplied by streams and 2 wells”.


There were 10 working pants, 2 of these belonged to the Duke; and a couple of wells.


All streams were now culverted.

Until the 1850’s all domestic water was carried by hand. This was normally carried on the head in a wooden pail called a “ skeel “ which held about 6 gallons. That meant a total weight of over 25kg.!


A cholera outbreak resulted in 40% of deaths occurring in Clayport area- nearest to  the pant at the end of Tower Lane . This pant was then capped.

Perhaps the well outside Hope House supplied Percy Terrace; therefore avoiding any deaths!.

By 1858 

90% of all properties were connected to the mains . The press adverts of 1860 for houses to let in Percy Terrace with water and gas laid in confirm that Percy Terrace was included.

( Information mainly from   “A descriptive and Historical View of Alnwick”,  printed and published by W. Davison in 1822)