This document is the second chapter of Tribute to the Fallen, 1914-1920: Men of Alnwick, Amble, Rothbury & Wooler districts (by David Thompson, MLitt; ISBN 978-1-9997905-7-8; Wanney Books; September 2019), which provides some analyses of Northumberland Branch of the Western Front Associations online database of men from the wider Alnwick, Amble, Rothbury & Wooler districts who paid the ultimate sacrifice in the service of their country during the First World War.
The first analysis is shown below, followed by a link to download the full document, which runs to 41 KB & 10 pages in WORD format.
‘Tribute to the Fallen, 1914-1920: Men of Alnwick, Amble, Rothbury & Wooler districts’
Analysis by numbers
Family names; Forenames; Ranks; Regiments; Years of death; Ages; Where commemorated (or buried); Families to lose two or more sons; Decorated men with local connections who were lost.
· 741 family names recorded on the database;
· 475 names appear only once;
· 188 appear on two or three occasions;
· 63 names appear between 4-9 times;
· 15 are recorded on 10 or more occasions;
· The name with the highest number of casualties against it is Thompson (27) – no known antecedents of the author!
· Wilson; Scott; & Brown, each appear 20 or more times.