Photographs bring history to life, and these fascinating and in some cases rare images are no exception.
Note that these are only low-resolution images and hence unsuitable for printing off for a wall picture or poster. Higher resolution images of all these photographs are available from Bailiffgate Museum. Just use the contact us option on the website to state your interest.( A contribution to museum funds will be invited to offset the cost of preparing your image).
Gazette Portraits 1
In 1911 the Alnwick Gazette published a supplement featuring photos of people who had been involved in the company in various ways since its founding in 1883.The first is Richard Archbold (1845-1897), auctioneer and director of the Alnwick Gazette....
Gazette Portraits 8
Charles Percy (1851-1929), a prominent Alnwick Solicitor and founding Chairman of the Gazette. Coroner for North Northumberland and a local councillor. He was MP (Conservative) for Tynemouth from 1918 -1922. He built Hillcrest House in Alnwick...
Gazette Portraits 9
Hugh Percy, son of Charles Percy and, like his father, a solicitor. A director of the Gazette. His exemption from conscription during the Great War aroused some strong feelings in Alnwick...
Gazette Portraits 10
William Percy (1849-1931) was the proprietor of a very successful drapers and dressmakers business in Alnwick, and one of the founding directors of the Gazette. Elder brother of Charles Percy.
Alnwick Bowling Club 1
The opening of the new green at Alnwick Bowling Club, June 20th 1894. The building in the background is the Headteacher’s house for the Alnwick National School. The original of this image taken on a 10x8 plate is very high quality, as can be ...
Alnwick Bowling Club 12
Matches in progress early 20th century. The building in the background on the other side of Dispensary Street is Wingrove House where the Alnwick Infirmary was located. The new, replacement Infirmary was built in 1908....
Alnwick Bowling Club 23
1928 the Alfred Bell Cup - the winning pair of Alnwick teams. Back row: C. Thompson, W.H. Akeroyd, J.T. Buglass, A.W.Castle. Middle row: C.C. Hindmarsh, W.E. Pitt. Front row: R.L.Jobson, J. Farr.
Peter’s Mill 1
A photograph of Denwick Mill in the early 20th century. The Mill was originally a fulling mill but was converted to a milling grain around 1850 by its new owner Peter Eadington. Mr Eadington was a well known local figure and the mill was (and ...
Peter’s Mill 2
The river Aln at Peter’s Mill could be crossed by a set of stepping stones as can be seen here, but Peter Eadington also built a footbridge. This was eventually replaced by the County Council but then washed away by flooding in the 1940...
Built around 1770 in the pastures to the north of the river Aln in an area which was referred to in earlier times as Wide Open. Its architecture is complementary to the nearby Lion Bridge and no doubt reflects the desire of the first Duke ...
Bondgate Without 8
The old Militia Barracks photographed in the early 1900s. It had been disused for some time and was in poor repair. It was demolished in the early 1920s to make way for the new Playhouse Cinema....