World War 1

Search the known records to date of those lost from the wider Alnwick area in World War 1

Generally showing where they are commemorated, when they died and some basic facts about each person. There are gaps, however, so if you can fill in any missing details do please contact us.

Ralph Robinson




Service Number:


Northumberland Fusiliers, 1st Battalion



Menin Gate Memorial, Ieper

Service History:
Enlisted at Alnwick, Northumberland, on 20 July 1915.

As Robinson was not entitled to receive the 1914-15 Star it means he didn't get to France & Flanders until after 1 January 1916. It's likely that his first action will have been that at St. Eloi (14-15 March 1916).

At this time, the Germans still held the high ground on the Messines Ridge. Underground mines were constructed below their positions in readiness to initiate the British attack by blowing up the Mound & enemy front-line trenches.

Promptly at 04:15hrs on 27 March 1916 an opening salvo from 41 guns & howitzers up to 9.2 inches in calibre rained down on the enemy, & the 6 mines were blown at intervals of a few seconds.

British troops spent much of the night lying prone in chilly mud. Although the Northumberland Fusiliers' 1st Battalion attack started well, it eventually became bogged down in the waterlogged landscape. The battalion sustained casualties of 2 officers & 29 other ranks killed; 4 officers & 124 O.R. wounded; & 21 'Missing'.

Robinson was one of those lost at this time.
(Source: 'The Fallen of Embleton 1914-1919'; Written & researched by Terry Howells, Mary Kibble, & Monica Cornall; pp. 12-16)

Born in late 1885, at Longhoughton, Northumberland, the son of John Robinson (b. Rennington, Northumberland; a Carter at Embleton Quarry), by his wife, Margaret Ann Robinson (née Oliver; b. Middleton, Wooler), of Jubilee Cottage, Embleton, Northumberland.

Seven siblings - Jane (b. 1872, at Stamford, near Embleton); Henry E. (b. 1875); Sarah (b. 1887, at Longhoughton); James Oliver (b. 1882); John Andrew (b. 1887); Leonard Edmundson (b. 1889); & Elizabeth (b. 1892, at Rennington).

Prior to living at Jubilee Cottage, which the family moved to in 1916, they had lived in 3 rooms at Embleton South Farm (from sometime before 1911 until 1915); Golden Moor, Denwick (1901); & Kiln House at Little Houghton (1891).
(Source: 'The Fallen of Embleton 1914-1919'; Written & researched by Terry Howells, Mary Kibble, & Monica Cornall; pp. 12-13)

Local Memorial:
Embleton, Memorial Obelisk in Spitalford Cemetery Embleton, Church of England School Memorial Plaque